Yes, you read that correctly. I enjoy a good Dumpster Dive from time-to-time. I wouldn't consider myself a 'diver' per say, since "my find" was neatly perched right on top, but...yea, I got our Christmas tree from a dumpster. The Story. One SUMMER several years ago Johnny and I were doing a little yard-work and house cleaning to gather our (usually quite generous) contribution to the annual neighborhood clean-up dumpster. Whilst weed-whacking (yes, I do this) I glanced toward the dumpster noticing how unusually full it was so early in the day. Then, with a wondering eye I spied, the most beautiful charlie brown Christmas tree, and I sighed. Yes. I really need that tree. We didn't have one. We'd spent WAY too much in past years on a REAL one. I knew I had to get a little closer to inspect the "damage", it must be damaged right? For some one to throw away a perfectly good tree already covered with fabulous twinkle lights, it must. I decided to weed-whack my way over there and get a closer look. After looking it over I quickly made a necessary decision...to give this "doomed" tree a real chance I needed to hastily get it home, and give it a proper 'once-over'. So that's what I did. I did a hurried glance around the neighborhood to make sure that no-one was watching, I didn't want to go to jail. You know they actually leave notes on your door telling you NOT to take from the dumpster. Huh? Weird. That's gross anyway. Hoping that not a soul would see...I made some lightning fast attempts at grabbing the tree, then I got a hold of the trunk. The look on Johnny's face as I rounded the corner, Christmas tree in tow...oh, it was priceless. (I would've taken a picture but unfortunatley I didn't find any ill-fated cameras). "You DIDN'T" he says...Oh, I did. Turns out, besides a bit bare from the waste down, there was NOT a THING wrong with this cute tree. Good and Free, my kind of Find! 3 years and going strong. We've decorated our charlie brown tree this year with a couple of my favorite ornaments. To share. Miss Crocodile w her high heal shoes and tiny trees on her back, she's adorable. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY DECORATING!
6 comments:
You win that is a great story I can see you telling it to your kids in 20 years as you put up the same tree. So easy and low maintence those trees are the best. Maybe we should hit the after Christmas sales and find us some trees.
Great find and excellent story! I love all your decorations. Someday I'll have decorations...someday!
I love this post! Even though I heard this story before reading abiout it was even funnier. You crack me up.
I just wish I could've seen his face when you were coming home with a Christmas tree out of the dumpster! That is the best and I would totally do the same!!...I love those good finds...
I love the shameless honesty of you christmas tree adventure. And I feel inspired to tell you how many times I have been with my mother scowering the neighborhood clean up piles....always at night of course. You can find some awesome stuff.....
I am laughing so hard that my stomach hurts and mascara is rolling down my cheeks. I miss you!! I can picture exactly how the dumpster dive went down. I wish I could have been there. I love the tree! You can never get rid of it...NEVER!! You must pass it on to Olivia when you die. Your tree is so much cooler than my tree. -Deb
Post a Comment